ABOUT THE COURSE
In this five-day masterclass, participants will construct a rod puppet from scratch based on the theme “Another Self” – an invitation for a conversation with the self, or the building of a relationship with the self.
Participants will be working in The Finger Players Workshop, going through the process of technical drawing, crafting and shaping of the head and body, fashioning of major and fine joints, and dressing the puppet. This masterclass is led by The Finger Players Co-Founder and Core Team Member Ong Kian Sin, who has twenty years of experience in puppet building and manipulation.
*Limited slots are available.
ABOUT THE LECTURER
Kian Sin is co-founder of The Finger Players. He often designs and constructs puppets. His puppet creations were seen in Furthest North, Deepest South, First Family, Wong Kar Wai Dreams, Twisted, Flare and suitCASES. In 2007, he staged 0501, a site-specific production that won two technical awards (Set and Sound Design) at the 8th Straits Times Life! Theatre Awards, as well as a President’s Design Award. His subsequent directorial works include Let Dreams Fly, Twisted, Whispers (Huayi Festival) and The Musical Canvas (Ding Yi/Esplanade FYI). Some performing credits include: The Book of Living and Dying, Turn by Turn We Turn, Senang (Drama Box) and One Metre Square: Voices from Sungei Road (Wild Rice).
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
This thematic masterclass is opened to all who are passionate about puppetry, and experience in making is ideal but not necessary. However due to the machinery and tools that will be used for this masterclass, we recommend this to be for participants ages 15 years and above.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Introduction to Rod Puppet
- Workshop Tour: Safety and Regulations
- Technical Drawing
- Puppet Head Sculpting
- Introduction to machinery
- Fashioning of joints
- Wire sculpting: limbs
- Foam sculpting: body volume
- Control mechanism: puppet movement
- Puppet dressing
- Putting it all together
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application form here.
- Please also submit a drawing/sketch and reference photos of the puppet you would like to build.
- Send these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: “Application: The Finger Players Rod-Puppet Construction Masterclass_Your Name”, by 31 May 2020, 11:59pm.
- Full attendance is compulsory.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of the masterclass.
- Lunch will not be provided, and the nearest food option is a 10-minute walk away.
- Please attend the masterclass in comfortable clothing or clothes that you don’t mind being dirtied.
DATE & TIME
- 13 Jul – 16 Jul 2020, 9am to 5pm and
- 17 Jul 2020, 9am to 6pm
The Finger Players Rehearsal Studio and Workshop
- $600 nett per person
- $500 nett per student
Available course subsidies include:
- National Arts Council Capability Development Scheme for the Arts (NAC CDSA)
- SkillsFuture credits (please email to email@example.com for more information)