ABOUT THE COURSE
In this masterclass, participants will be learning the craft of making a rod puppet based on the style and design of rod puppets created by The Finger Players. Participants will design and build a puppet from scratch and be guided through the process of doing technical drawings, building the puppet structure and joints, sculpting the head and body, and dressing the puppet. The masterclass will be conducted in The Finger Players Workshop where tools and materials will be provided. This workshop is led by puppet designer and maker, Daniel Sim, a Core Team member of The Finger Players.
*Limited slots available.
PAST ROD PUPPET STYLES
ABOUT THE LECTURER
Daniel is interested in objects in performance and the potential of their material and theatrical presence. He has designed, coordinated and/or made puppets, props and gadgets for shows such as Oiwa – The Ghost of Yotsuya(2021), The Son (2020), Urinetown The Musical (2019), The Great Wall: One Woman’s Journey (2017), and ITSY – The Musical (2017). He also builds and has helped to create spaces for shows like Love is the Last Thing On My Mind (2020), Flowers (2019), Both Sides, Now: Closer (2018), and MISSING (2018).
Daniel is a member of The Finger Players Core Team. He helms The Maker’s Lab, a programme that focuses on research and development of puppet design and making.
Daniel is a co-founder of Prop-erly, where he fabricates puppets, props and other performance objects. He is also a co-founder of local Facebook group, We.Make.Performance.Objects.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
This masterclass is open to all who are passionate about puppetry or curious individuals who would like to explore this marvelous art form. Experience in making is ideal but not necessary as you will be guided through each step. However, due to the machinery that will be used, we recommend this to be for participants ages 15 years and above.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Session #1 and #2
- Introduction to rod puppets and the TFP workshop
- Creating technical drawings
- Carving and sculpting foam heads
- Papier mache of heads
Session #3 and #4
- Making of puppet structure and hands
- Sculpting and shaping of sponge body
- Inserting controllers
Session #5 and #6
- Assembling and tuning the puppet
- Costuming and painting the puppet
- Playing with the puppet
For any other enquiries, please get in touch at email@example.com
- Full attendance is compulsory.
- Lunch will not be provided, and the nearest food option is a 10-minute walk away
- Please attend the masterclass in comfortable clothing or clothes that you don’t mind being dirtied and wear covered footwear.
- Feel free to bring along any personal tools that you are comfortable with like penknives, scissors, rulers and other stationery.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of the masterclass.
DATE & TIME
16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31 July 2022
9am – 4pm
*TFP Workshop will be opened till 5pm for participants who would like to stay back to complete their builds.
The Finger Players Rehearsal Studio and Workshop
- $600 nett per person
- $500 nett per student
This course is SkillsFuture credits claimable.
NUMBER OF SPACES
5 per class