ABOUT THE COURSE
In this three-week revamped Masterclass, award-winning theatre practitioner Oliver Chong will guide participants through a rigorous process, drawing reference from notable actor training and performance-devising methods such as Meyerhold’s Biomechanics, Suzuki Method of Actor Training and Viewpoints.
This process draws parallels from the philosophy of The Finger Players, incorporating the rigour and micro-awareness of the puppeteer-actor. This mastery of presence and ease in communication is essential for all practitioners who are looking to advance their virtuosity in performance.
ABOUT THE LECTURER
The most recent winner of Best Actor at The Straits Times Life! Theatre Awards 2020 for A Fiend’s Diary, Oliver Chong is a multi-award winning and published playwright, director, actor and designer. Some of his memorable works include A Fiend’s Diary, Roots, I’m Just A Piano Teacher, Cat, Lost & Found, The Book of Living and Dying, Citizen Pig and Citizen Dog. His numerous nominations at The Straits Times Life! Theatre Awards include Production of the Year and Best Director for I’m Just a Piano Teacher, Production of the Year for Off Centre, Best Director and Best Script for Citizen Pig, Best Actor for Roots, Invisibility/Breathing and Art, Best Supporting Actor for Itsy, the musical, Flare, Best Ensemble for Senang, Shit Hole, First Family, Rashomon, and A Cage Goes in Search of a Bird respectively, and Best Set Design for Twisted, Citizen Dog and A Fiend’s Diary.
Oliver was the Resident Director of THE FINGER PLAYERS (2004 – 2018), currently the core member of the company and also the founding member of A GROUP OF PEOPLE (2008 – 2012). He is the founder and Artistic Director of ODDDCROP Theatrical Productions (2019 – present). His published works include Roots, I’m Just A Piano Teacher and Cat, Lost & Found.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
You should attend this Masterclass if you:
- Would like to be introduced to various forms of actor training methods/performance devising methods, that can be employed in practice.
- Would like to understand your strengths and weaknesses in performance, in a safe and constructive space.
- Would like to be introduced to like-minded peers and mentor(s).
- Would like to work on a monologue in a comprehensive and wholistic manner.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Week 1: Neutrality
In this week, participants will be working on neutrality through improvisational activities, exercises and games; preparing their bodies and setting a foundation together for the Masterclass.
- Neutral Walk
- Sensitivity and awareness of space
- Muscular isolation
- Wall work, floor work, lane work
- Introduction to Suzuki Method of Actor Training
Week 2: Story
Participants will get to rehearse and work on excerpts from selected plays to discover an effective and creative process to dynamic characterisation. Using storytelling and recounting as entry points, participants will also be guided through the process of creating personas for a monologue* presentation.
- Introduction to Viewpoints
- Introduction to Meyerhold’s Biomechanics
- Story-telling – theory and concept
- Retelling the story in performance
- Adopting the story in performance
*The selected monologue should be submitted to Oliver three weeks before the class commences.
Week 3: Character in Performance
Participants will learn to develop and deepen characterization and delivery, incorporating actor training methods learnt in the previous weeks such as Meyerhold’s Biomechanics, Suzuki Method of Actor Training and Viewpoints. At the end of this week, participants will be presenting their selected monologues, and will get to observe, critique and learn from observing one another.
- Deepening: Meyerhold’s Biomechanics
- Approaching the Monologue
- Physicalising performance in the Monologue
- Stabilising the Monologue
The elements introduced in each week would be incorporated in a scaffolded manner.
This workshop will be conducted in English.
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application form here.
- Send the application form and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: “Application: The Finger Players Puppetry in Performance Masterclass_Your Name”, by 14 Jun 2020, 11:59pm.
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified to attend an interview audition.
- Full attendance is compulsory.
- You need to have at least 1 year of professional experience in theatre acting.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of the masterclass.
- Please attend the masterclass in comfortable clothing.
DATE & TIME
- 13 Jul – 17 Jul 2020, 7pm to 11pm
- 20 Jul – 24 Jul 2020, 7pm to 11pm
- 27 Jul – 31 Jul 2020, 7pm to 11pm
The Finger Players Rehearsal Studio
$700 nett per person
Available course subsidies include:
- National Arts Council Capability Development Scheme for the Arts (NAC CDSA)
- SkillsFuture credits (please email to email@example.com for more information)