ABOUT THE COURSE
QLAB by Figure 53 is a software for sound, video and light. This short and comprehensive course is designed to introduce and equip one with the skills and concept necessary to tackle basic programming and operation on QLAB for theatre. Participants will be given a hands-on experience during this 4-day course, while learning the basics of how to use QLAB for their existing or future projects.
ABOUT THE LECTURER
For the past two decades, Darren Ng has sound designed and composed music for over 250 arts productions, and has received multiple Straits Times Life! Theatre Awards for Best Sound. As a music composer and going by the pseudonym – sonicbrat, he is signed to record label Kitchen. Label and represented internationally by renowned music publishers Phantom Limb (UK) and P*dis (JP). He has also been invited to perform solo or showcase his sound installations in numerous prestigious international music and arts festivals across Europe and Asia. Being the Associate Sound Artist and Music Composer for The Finger Players since 2004, Darren is also one of the co-founders of design collective – INDEX. He was conferred the Young Artist Award (music; multi-disciplinary practice) in 2012 by the National Arts Council.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
From theatre sound enthusiasts to aspiring/existing sound operators and technicians, designers and music composers who wants to learn basic QLAB from scratch, or even someone who is simply curious and interested in learning to use QLAB for sound; this course is suitable for anyone who hopes to discover QLAB and its possibilities in theatre sound. While it is useful to have some prior knowledge or experience in theatre, no prior knowledge, skills or experience with the software is required to sign up for this course. However, we do not recommend this basic course for someone who is already an avid user of QLAB.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
The course is broken down into 4 workshops:
WORKSHOP 1: THE QLAB UNIVERSE
- Introduction to the basic concepts & functions of QLAB
WORKSHOP 2: BASIC PROGRAMMING ON QLAB
- Learning how to use the tools in QLAB to construct sound cues
WORKSHOP 3: BASIC PLOTTING ON QLAB
- Learning the basics of creating a listening experience using QLAB
WORKSHOP 4: TRANSLATION FROM CONCEPT TO SPACE
- Sound operation using QLAB
This course covers entry-level basics for QLAB and does not focus on or cover advance programming, scripting, sound design and the technical aspects of sound in theatre. For a more detailed course overview, please download the course outline here.
To facilitate the learning experience, participants will be given royalty-free sound packages specific to the course content, as part of their course digital package. The course digital package will be available for download closer to date.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• You will need a Macbook Pro (recommended) or Macbook Air with a working audio outlet. Mac OS 10 Mojave.
• We recommend a minimum of 8Gb of memory for your laptop but it is not a requirement.
• Download the latest QLAB 4 version from figure53.com (don’t worry, it’s free).
• A pair of working headphones or earphones.
• A mouse and a mouse pad.
HOW TO APPLY
Download the application form here.
Complete the form and send it to email@example.com with the subject title: “Application: Basic Qlab for Theatre Sound_Your Name”, by 30 September 2020, 11.59pm.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of the course.
- Full attendance is compulsory.
- Priority will be given to:
- Aspiring/existing operators/technicians/designers/music composers/DJ who wants to learn QLAB from scratch, and
- Personnel with theatre experiences and backgrounds (e.g. actors, directors, crew, ASM, SM, PM, etc).
DATE & TIME
7 Dec – 9 Dec and 12 Dec 2020, 6.30pm – 10.30pm
The Finger Players Rehearsal Studio
$300 nett per person
*10% off for members of the Singapore Drama Educators Association
*Course subsidy through SkillsFuture Credit is available (please email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)